Monday, November 28, 2011







The concentration of my body of work is a single Urdu word- “Mashallah.” In Urdu, when people see something especially beautiful that they hope to protect they say the word “Mashallah” as a prayer to guard it from the evil eye. My portfolio is almost entirely based on the aesthetic and meaning of a single word.Throughout, I have used two different kinds of Urdu calligraphy to capture the different meanings the same word may carry. While some of the work seems rigid and intangible, with no real meaning, other pieces capture the abstract emotions that are associated with the word.Often, the viewer will be able to connect the images with more than one theme or no theme at all.I have tried to work in the same mediums of ink and water color to maintain consistency.I would like to add that my body of work is still building, so the larger theme might not be easily identifiable as yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment