Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Simeen Farhat

I was looking through the Drawing Center website the other day, and came across this artist.  I like how she incorporates language into drawing.  Specifically, she transforms the language of her native Pakistan into a visual pattern that has graphic power beyond the mere words.

To quote from her artist statement:
"Deriving from the fact that I am a Pakistani-born American immigrant, my work is a melding of my two cultural identities depicted through social satires. Living in two cultures I view each in multiple, sometimes confusing perspectives. It is a complex subject expressed in a variety of media."


Shadows of s a Stanza # 3 by Simeen Farhat



If you want to go to her portfolio on the Drawing Center website, go to their site and search for her name.  You'll find her full artist statement there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment