Sunday, September 4, 2011

Luniva: The Future

 What stance will my religion have in the future? When modern technology advances to a whole new level - an unforeseen future where culture and religion may no longer rule the lives of people who have become obscure to the morals their ancestors were brought up in?


My two pieces are somewhat contradictory to each other. My first is composed of a robot/machine hand and a human hand pressed together forming a "Namaste".

"Namaste" is a general way of greeting one another in Nepal (as well as India) - it is a sign of respect. But in a more Buddhist perspective it can mean '"The God in me greets the God in you".


 "The God in me greets the God in you"
Acrylic and Charcoal on White Cartridge Paper

My second piece is one that juxtaposes two different ideas: to devote, and to disrespect.
I was inspired by Banksy's stencil work as well as by the aircraft graffiti that was prominent in Wars.
In a way the stencil of Lord Buddha shows that the driver of the futuristic automobile is 'devoted' to buddism, but in another perspective, it is somewhat disrespectful to have his face graffiti-ed on a form of transportation.
The cloud forms the Buddhist sign "endless knot" which signifies the wisdom of Buddha - one which has no beginning nor an end (it has many other interpretations). 

Inspired by Dragonflies: Automobile and Buddha
Acrylic on Canvas





5 comments:

  1. I really liked the concentration as it was something really unique. The way these two pieces are illustrated show me, as the viewer, that the artist is trying to display an aspect of "asian" in her pieces. The color combination works very well because there is a sense of optimism displayed and a sense of futurism

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool concentration! Love the details in the first picture! Also it's really cool to sea the different hands put together and making the Buddha hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the painting titled "The God in me greets the God in you". I love the values that is created. Great details showing the connection with the human hand and the robotic hand. Instead of using the blue background I think it would be cool if a destructed city was used at the background.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your idea is great! Your peices are fantastic, i love "The God in me greets the God in You" peice i think it is very unique and it does get people thinking. The second peice, is also really really good, the colours work wel together. I think the Buddhist symbol on the top is quite inspirational but the symbol on the left was not really necessary.
    Other than that youre going to be a great artist one day! I think you should just follow your dreams and become n artist
    :)great work lun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool! I really like your first piece it really stands out. The blue background makes the hand look 3D which is super duper cool. I really love the way you in merged the clouds with the "endless knot". Good job!

    ReplyDelete