Sunday, September 4, 2011

Zarka - Geometry


















































This the first piece for my concentration. It is not a maze. It actually repeats one word over and over again, the word being "Mashallah". "Mashallah" is an Urdu word which is meant to protect one from the evil eye, thus the images of the eye. The maze shape is actually a form of Urdu calligraphy.













My concentration for this portfolio will be geometry and the medium/theme I'm using is Urdu and Arabic calligraphy. As a kid, I always felt like the greatest achievable honour for me was having a beautiful Urdu handwriting and after 3 years of training with a professional calligraphist I found that what makes Urdu writing visually appealing is symmetry. This is why I chose geometry as my concentration. However, I find that there is symmetry in almost everything around us though it is not entirely obvious. My work won't seem "geomtrical" sometimes, but that will be a part of the mystery I'm trying to create. Because geometry, a lot like beauty, confuses me.
Word: Mashallah (Urdu word said to protect one from the evil eye)

1 comment:

  1. I really do find your concentraton very very interesting!
    The whole urdu script writing is also very creative, and the poems that you chose to do it on was quite fun to lsten to as well. However, i think you coud use more circular / round /curved writing in your peices as it would make the peices look better.
    Otherwise i thnk youre work is really great and spiritual as well as a part of who you are and I am very fascinated with what you wi;; come up with next!
    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete