Monday, September 19, 2011

Sanjana Datla

Jennifer Levonian, Take a Picture with the Puma, Oil-Collage, 2010

Georgia O'Keeffe, The Black Iris, Oil Painting, 1926




Mary Cassatt, The Two Sisters, Oil Painting, 1884



Andrew Wyeth, Siri, Oil Painitng, 1970




Kelly Falzone Inouye, Chain Gang, Water Color, 2005



1. Explain what it is you like about these 5 artworks (elements/common threads).
All the artists I looked at had so many amazing pieces of art that it was really hard to choose. I chose these five artworks because all of them managed to provoke very strong emotions and capture my attention. Three of the five painting I chose have a lot of white/positive space but this adds to their art than hinder it. I love how all the artists play with light and how white can have so many colors in it. I think all my pieces contrast each other for I liked them for different reasons. I liked the vividness and emphasis on the pots and plates in the Take a Picture with the Puma by Jennifer Levonian. My favorite art movement is impressionism so I immediately connected with Mary Cassatt’s work, in The Two Sisters I like how it is reminiscent of Edgar Degas and the contrasting color scheme. I loved The Black Iris for its ambiguity and the fact that it was created using three colors. I chose the Chain Gang, for its portrayal for connection and uniformity not only through chains but through structure and colors. And lastly I loved Siri for the way the light is shone and the positioning of the central figure; it is very aesthetically pleasing that the girl is place in the bottom half of the painting while the top have concentrates on the play of light on white walls. The common thing I light about all the artworks is the use of the white, the positioning of the subjects and the use or lack of color.

2. What is it that these elements are expressing?
I always thought color scheme is central to evoking emotion. There is a lot of pathos in these artworks and this is achieved via the colors. The vivid and contrasting colors capture the abstractive and fleeting quality they have. While the minimal use of color in three of the art pieces manages to intrigue the observer and draw attention to the details and the use of light.


3. How could you take some of these strategies and apply them to your own work -- either in terms of media, formal qualities, and/or theme?
In my art I want to work on strange positioning of the subjects in order to draw attention. I also want to try using minimal colors in at least a couple of art pieces because I always loved using all the colors I could find. Another concept I want to experiment with is the use or lack of light in a painting. Light has the power to reveal or hid so much and I want to see how I can use light it portray emotions and thoughts. I want to learn how to let my hand go and create very abstract brushstrokes and on the other extreme I want to also create the true water color effect, where the characters look like they can dissolve any second.

Part 3: Artist In-Depth
3. Choose one artist and research what has influenced his or her work. If the artist is alive and has a website you should look at what they've written about their work. If the artist is not contemporary, then research what others have written about this artist.
Mary Cassatt
She is an impressionist artist born in 1844. Her work largely concentrates on the relations between people or family members, usually between a mother and child. I love when women are made subject, because they are usually illustrated in such detail and clarity that it feels like a part of their (the subject’s) soul is relieved to the viewer. This is the primary reason I love impressionism and artists like Edgar Degas, Van Gogh, Mary Cassatt and Auguste Renoir, they capture the essence of moment or a person through the abstract colors and brushstrokes. Mary Cassatt was extensively influenced by Edgar Degas. Much of her early work is very reflective of his style. Her other major inspiration is women themselves, she liked portraying women holding different relations

No comments:

Post a Comment